Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Complications from small scrotum?

12/30/2008

Question:

At my 2 year old son`s routine well child visit his doctor expressed concern over the small nature of his scrotal sac. His testicals are descended and he does not exhibit any difficulty urinating. Is this something I should be concerned about? We are seeing a urologist in the next few weeks, but would like any additional opinions I can obtain.

Thank you.

Answer:

It depends. The most common cause of a small scrotum is undescended testicles. If your son's testicles are in the scrotum, then most probably everything is OK. It is possible that his testicles are small, although in a 2-year-old boy there are few standards, and it is difficult to measure them accurately, even with ultrasound. If his anatomy is otherwise normal, then I would predict that he will develop normally over time. If there is a significant question regarding his development, however, then seeing a pediatric urological specialist is advisable.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology