Colon Cancer

Should I Get Screened For Colon Cancer

12/30/2008

Question:

I am a 27 year old female with colon cancer in her family. My mom`s brother was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 40. After that all his siblings were screened. My mother and her twin brother both had polyps found in their early 30s. My mom`s third brother also had polyps as well as my mom`s mother. My mom`s fourth brother has Crohn`s disease and I do not know if he has had polyps.

For a couple years I experienced bowl irritation (no bleeding or blood present) of diarrhea and constipation. I had chalked it up to the fact that I am a student that does not eat well and drinks a lot of coffee. But I am concerned with my family history and the age that they had developed polyps. Should I get screened and if so, which test?

Thank you.

Answer:

Given that some of your relatives had polyps in their 30's, I would recommend that you get checked with a colonoscopy.

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Gregory S Cooper, MD Gregory S Cooper, MD
Professor of Medicine