Infertility

Semen Examination

01/12/2009

Question:

I have been married for more than 1 year. We want to have a child but so far we haven't been successful :(. We have consulted a doctor and the doctor suggested some tests for my wife, it was concluded that she is ok. Then she asked me for a Semen Examination test. The following are the results:

Quantity : 4.0 pH : 8.5 Viscosity : thin Sperm Count : 25 million Mortality : 40 % Normal Morphology : 50 % Red Blood cells : Nil Pus cells : 8-10 Fructose : Postive

Now doctor has suggested me a Capsule "Gondil-F" for 3 months and asked for re-test of semen examination after 3 months. Can you please Analyze the results and give some suggestions that would maybe help us to conceive.

Answer:

Minimum normal semen parameters would include a concentration of 20 million/ml, motility > 50%, and morphology (% normal) > 30%.  There should be < 1 million/ml WBC.    Your sperm counts appear to be normal, although your motility would is mildly decreased.   I would first repeat the semen analysis as it is very close to normal.  If it is the same, you could consider seeing an urologist to determine if there are any treatable causes for the problem. 

In a couple with male factor, treatment consists of getting the sperm and egg closer together.  There are 2 ways to accomplish this: 

1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - involves injection of your sperm into your partner's uterus at the time of ovulation

2. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your partner's ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your wife's uterus.  

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD