Athletic Training

Chondromalacia

12/31/2008

Question:

I developed Chondromalacia Patella last year, I am a very active 14year old female I run and have pronating knees and feet (this obviously agravates chonromalacia), but i also swim, and recently have experienced the same pain and catching sensation in my shoulder while swimming, do you think it could be Chondromalacia in my shoulder and how would a doctor confirm/disprove this diagnoses.

Answer:

Chondromalacia is not typically a diagnosis you see in the shoulder. However, the shoulder can produce noise and pain especially in people who swim or do other overhead activities.  There are different reasons why your shoulder could be catching and giving you pain. I would recommend an evaluation by your local sports medicine professional to determine the cause and get you started on a treatment plan that hopefully will get your shoulder feeling better for your swimming activities. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences