Allergies

Allergic to morphine

01/05/2009

Question:

i had my appendix remove 2 yeaers ago and was given morphine as pain relief. i immediatly had severe chest pains and feelings of terrible sickness a quick thinking staff nurse alerted the doc who administered something to counteract the morphine. i am waiting to see a specialist about my allergy.I cant imagine how the can safely diagnose my tolerance to morphine.ps i have a very low tolerance to many pain killers.any advice?

Answer:

This sounds like you had an adverse drug reaction and not an allergy or allergy like reaction.  Your doctors may have to find an alternative pain medication (i.e. ketorolac or Toradol) in the future or if possible give smaller doses of narcotics in the future.  A qualified allergy specialist should be able to provide you with appropriate recommendations for this problem. 

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD