Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Teething pattern

01/05/2009

Question:

my daughter when turned 9 had her first teeth the two uppoer middle ones followed by a single tooth on the lowwer jaw in the middle. these three teeth came within one week ... after wards she had no teething and now at the age of 11 1/2 months she had her next two teeth on the upper jaw. i understand that teeth come in pairs. i am concerned whether there is something wrong with the second tooth of the lower jaw that has not emerged up till now and there are four teeth on the upper jaw.. is it normal or do i need to do something about it . i have a three year old son who had normal teething pattern

Answer:

Thanks for the question. The truth is that there is a wide range of eruption of teeth for children. Let's assume that she is indeed missing teeth: there really is nothing to do in terms of treatment at this point.

While there is a generally accepted "pattern of eruption," there is a great deal of variation. I would recommend that your daughter be seen by a dentist who can assess her eruption and monitor the progress. Hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry