Infertility

Primary Infertility

01/05/2009

Question:

Dear doc, I'm trying 4 conception for 1 yr., but failed. All of my preliminary blood tests(FSH,LH), follicular study is normal, my husband`s sperm count and motility are also good. Recently having an episode of uterus infection, I am taking antibiotics and vaginal insertions. I also had problem with recurrent UTI after my marriage. Is this because of UTI that has affected my uterus also. What is the best way to ensure that the infection has cured fully? Is there any other test that you can suggest, if uterus infections may cause infertility?

Answer:

There is a big difference between vaginal, urinary tract and pelvic infections. Vaginal infections (called "vaginitis") are common and are not thought to decrease fertility. They are often treated with vaginal tablets or oral antibiotics. Urinary tract infections are also very common and are not know to decrease fertility. Pelvic infections that involve the uterus or tubes, however, can decrease fertility in some women. If you have been treated for a pelvic infection, you should be seen in follow-up by your gynecologist to make sure all signs of infection are gone. Once you are cleared of the infection, your gynecologist will often want to make sure your tubes have not been damaged. This can be done either by injecting dye through your uterus and looking at your tubes with X-rays, or by looking at your tubes directly during a surgical procedure know as laproscopy. The first step is to make a follow-up appointment with your gynecologist to determine what kind of infections you have had. Make sure that he or she knows you are trying to get pregnant. Your gynecologist will help you determine if more evaluation is needed.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology