Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Do you think you may be overstating

01/09/2009

Question:

the negative consequences of bipolar disorder?   I have had since childhood and I am a self made millionair. Many succesful people live with disorder and contribute to society. Isolating children into special schools is a bad idea. Many people with disorder can out perform mentally healthy people at many different levels. Bipolar people have contributely greatlly to the world give parents hope.

Answer:

Hello and thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I'm very glad to hear of your accomplishments despite suffering from bipolar disorder. Like yourself, I believe that people can live with this disorder and contribute to society and have witnessed that with many individual patients. However, the existing research has not yet examined or shown that to occur for most youth with bipolar disorder.

What the research does show is, as I wrote, "Overtime, children with EOBPSD typically experience greater conflict with their families at home, academic and behavioral problems at school, problems interacting with peers in formal and informal settings, suicidal thoughts, plans or attempts, and increased use of mental health services, including multiple hospitalizations."

However, I also noted "Finally, it is important not to lose hope. Although EOBPSD is a chronic but variable disorder that often wreaks havoc on family life, peer relationships and school functioning, many effective treatment tools exist and continue to become available at a rapid rate."

In that respect, I don't feel I have overstated the negative implications of bipolar disorder for most people based on existing research - I'm afraid the research is what it is at this moment. My guess is that with continuing improvements in treatments will come continuing improvements in people's ability to manage bipolar disorder and lead healthy and productive lives.

One further clarification: I didn't say that we should "isolate children into special schools" as that would be, as you said, "a bad idea." However, many youth with bipolar disorder do need and greatly benefit from special education accommodations within regular school.

I hope this helps clarify my NetWellness overview and addresses your comments.

Yours sincerely,

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry