Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

How long for bleeding into foot to resolve?

01/06/2009

Question:

I have essential thrombocythaemia and Factor V Leiden deficiency.

I banged the top of my foot before Christmas and it swelled up (initially, a clear bubble came up) and went red and purple from bleeding (and hurt a lot). After 2 x-rays and a CT scan, I was told that my foot (cuboid) wasn`t broken.

The size of my whole foot has gone down, but there is still a large purple swelling (about 4.5cm x 8cm x 1cm) sticking out, I can`t move my 2 outside toes or bend my toes and I still can`t walk properly on it. How long should this take to reabsorb/resolve? It`s been maybe a month so far, and I`ve got an elastic bandage to wear during the day.

Also, I`ve got bruises all up both of my legs, particularly up the back of the calf on the leg where I banged my foot. Would the whack on the foot have triggered these other bruises to come out and why would that happen?

Thank you.

Answer:

While it is not possible to give any specific advice on your case without being able to examine and talk to you, there should likely be some improvement in your symptoms over a month. The bruising can last a long time, but if it is not getting better at all, I would encourage you to follow up with your physician to see why there has been no improvement. If it is getting better, it just may take more time.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine