Asthma

Chest pain tightness in chest

01/21/2009

Question:

I have asthma and gerd. I feel like ther is a belt around my chest that gets tighter and tighter. I cannot seem to get rid of this. Please help me. I do take advair 230/50 daily an d am going to take nexeum 40 mg a day. Than k you

Answer:

Chest tightness can be caused by uncontrolled asthma; uncontrolled GERD; heart problems; vocal cord dysfunction; or other problems.  If your breathing tests (PFT or spirometry) have not changed to indicate your asthma is uncontrolled, then other causes need to be evaluated. 

It is important to monitor your symptoms closely so you can report them accurately to your provider.  Try to note the time of day the symptoms are worse.  Are your symptoms affected by meals or certain foods?  Worse at night?  Does it occur during stress or heavy exertion?  Is it relieved by your rescue inhaler or other medicines?  Talk to your provider about your symptoms so additional tests or treatments can be planned. 

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Cathy   Benninger, RN, MS, APRN, C-AE Cathy Benninger, RN, MS, APRN, C-AE
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director, OSU Asthma Center Educational Program