Pain and antibiotics after root canal

01/09/2009

Question:

I had a Root Canal in tooth #19 (molar), was done on 12/30/08 and the next day I had so much pain I took several Advil as recomended from the Endodontist, but by January 2nd. I had to call the office and the Dr. prescribe Antibiotics (Penicillin 500 mg tablets.) taken 4 times a day. On monday I visit the Dr. and he said give some time to the antibiotic to work, and today 1/6/09 tuesday I called the office again and the Dr. recomend to prescribe a stronger antibiotic. I am concern, I have no fever or sewelling in my face. Does the stronger antibiotic will take the pain away. Or getting use to antibiotics will create another problem in the future. I am 69 years old male, and also I had a total knee replacement. And that is why, I don`t want to abuse antibiotics. Please, what do you think. Or for how long this pain and discomfort usually last. Thanks.

CURIOS PATIENT.....

Answer:

I hope by now you are feeling better. Discomfort within the first few weeks after root canal treatment is very normal. Pain medication should be used for pain control. Antibiotics will not work for pain control. If you are still having pain, I would contact your endodontist to have something stronger prescribed.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics