Mouth Diseases

Sore throat/white tongue/bumps on throat

01/07/2009

Question:

I have all three. Swollen sore throat with white spots, partially white tongue, small clear bumps. I went to Dr and they say its an infection but do not know what kind. I was taking Amox875 before the white tongue started. I had sore throat about a week first. Then all else started. It hurts some to eat and I am worried if it is serious. I am on amox875 again with TL or TR something and throat swish. Have you heard of this?

Answer:

Amoxicillin trihydrate potassium and clavulonate (augmentin)are good drugs to use for pharyngitis/laryngitis/strep throat infections and pneumonia (bacterial) infections.

The white tongue may be related to yeast (Candida sp. overgrowth). The clear vesicles (bumps) may be related to the infection or viral infection (HSV) and is dependent upon where they are in the mouth.

I would go back and have your PCP reevaluate and possibly get a culture to verify that a bacterial infection is being treated and evaluate the possibility of a fungal infection.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine