Tooth pain after root canal

01/09/2009

Question:

I had a root canal done about a week ago. I first went in 2 weeks previous to that. My lower jaw was swollen and I was in pain I started on an antibiotic and my dentist switched me to another I think stronger one. This tooth had been worked on for 3 weeks in a row. The root canal was done after the infection had subsided there was also quite a bit of decay in the tooth (crown had to be removed) I am still feeling pain sometimes intense but doesn`t last too long maybe a couple of minutes. Is this normal does it take a while for a tooth to calm down it was pretty infected. My dentist is not going to put another crown on until he my discomfort subsides. Is it normal to feel pain for a while after an infection, root canal and drilling for the decay? How long does it typically last? Thanks

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Questions similar to yours have been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Problems After Root Canal
Why does my whole mouh hurt after root canal?
Root canal completed, throbbing pain back

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics