Mouth Diseases

What`s the problem?

01/14/2009

Question:

I have a sore on the floor of my mouth. It`s on the right side. When it gets inflammed it get larger, redder, and becomes sore. Then it busts and some form of pus or infection, along with a little blood comes out. It feels better after this happens. It has been there for a little over a year. I never went to the doctor because it went away and I was a little scared to. However, it came back. In recent months it happens more often. I don`t know what kind of disease this is. Is it a canker sore, cancer, or an std?

Answer:

From your description, this is most likely a problem with one of the salivary glands becoming plugged up from time to time. However, it would be impossible to make a definite diagnosis without doing an examination.

If you want the most accurate assessment of the situation, you should make an appointment to see an oral pathologist. If you cannot find an oral pathologist in your area, then an oral surgeon should be consulted.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology