Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Bipolar/OCD/ADD/Depression

01/12/2009

Question:

Question: I am studying to become a medical transcriptionist and have chosen the following question for my research project: What is the current point of view regarding patients who seem to have all four medical conditions? (Bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, attention deficit disorder and depression.) I have been diagnosed as such, and that is my reason for choosing this topic. Is it believed that more is to be discovered in the field of psychiatry, and that people who are diagnosed with these four disorders might be grossly misdiagnosed and should ultimately belong to another category of their own? Is the field of psychiatry a developing one, keeping the physician challenged and "on his toes"?

Thank you!

Answer:

Co-occurring psychiatric disorders are unfortunately common. There is value in defining them separately--even in cases where one person has several--because medical and psychological management can differ between them.

There are concerns about making an ADHD diagnosis in a bipolar patient (although this is possible) because of symptom overlap, making it confusing. Furthermore, there are a lack of studies to support the use of stimulants (for ADHD) in bipolar patients with the added concern that the stimulants may cause mood instability and issues with drug interactions. See the November 2008 issue of Current Psychiatry for more information.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Stephen F Pariser, MD Stephen F Pariser, MD
Faculty Emeritus
Professor of Psychiatry