Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Blood blister inside left cheek of mouth

01/23/2009

Question:

I have a strep infection in my throat and I am on atibiotics, which seem to be clearing it up. I noticed a blood blister inside my mouth, which I have never had one before. I donot wear dentures and have no other issues inside my mouth. Is this from the virus or just from an accidental cheek chewing?

Answer:

The blood blister on the buccal (cheek) aspect of your mouth may be related to cheek biting or negative pressure from sucking. The strep throat probably is not the cause, but you may be mouth breathing as a result of the infection, and have increased the likelihood of traumatizing your cheek.

I would probably feel safe to say that a single isolated blood blister (petechial hemorrhage) is a result of localized trauma. As you mentioned, this is an isolated case and you do not have this occur on a regular basis. If this was a frequent occurrence of this problem, I would want to check out the source of trauma and may want to examine you to rule out more complex systemic problems related to systemic diseases or blood dyscrasias.

Since I have not examined you and your PCP is following you for Strep throat, I am more convinced that the blood blister is an isolated event that you happened to observe.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine