Gynecology

Dry light pink discharge 2 wks b4 period.

01/26/2009

Question:

Hi. For about the past month I`ve had a dry light pink discharge. About three days ago I started itching, like a yeast infection. I call my GYN and explained my symptoms, which were itching, red and a thick white discharge. She told me that I probably had a yeast infection. No big deal, she called in some difulcan and I took one yesterday and will take one again tomorrow. The first one has stopped the itching. However, my discharge is still light pink and dry. Not at all like the other yeast inefection I had a few years back. This discharge is dry almost like wet chalk. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and have been for almost a year now. I am not nor have I ever been on BC and my last pap was in May of 08. I am not experencing any pain and the discharge does not have a smell or odor to it. I don`t know if I should be worried. Please advise.

Answer:

There are many causes of a pink discharge, and it is not the usual symptom of a vaginal yeast infection. If the discharge is the result of an infection, it can make it more difficult to get pregnant. Your gynecologist should evaluate your discharge in the office. If you have not used contraception for over a year, it is also time to start a basic fertility evaluation.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology