Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Agent Orange and Benign Tumors

01/15/2009

Question:

I am a VietNam veteran and am growing a lot of benign tumors. The VA said they are inherited -- starting with me. None of my three brothers nor my two children have them, but none of them were in an agent orange use area. Is it possible agent orange could be causing them? I have had about thirty removed so far. And have about that many more. The VA wants me to prove agent orange caused them.

Answer:

Anne Matthews, RN, PhD

In regard to your tumors being inherited, yes, some tumors are inherited especially if they become cancerous at some point.  It depends on the type of benign tumors you have.  Although no one else in your family has had these tumors, you could be the first person in your family to be affected.  Again, this really depends on what type of tumors you have. If your doctors have diagnosed you with an inherited type of tumor, I would recommend that you talk to a cancer geneticist or genetic counselor to discuss what this means for your family. You can ask your doctors for a referral or locate a genetics center near you at the National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource website below.

NetWellness Staff

In regards to the ability of agent orange to cause benign tumors, unfortunately we do not have an expert who answers questions in your area of inquiry. Best wishes.

National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org