Mouth Diseases

Swollen tongue and cheeks

01/22/2009

Question:

For over a year now my tongue and cheeks have been swollen. I first noticed it when I started taking high blood pressure med`s (hctz) my dr changed my medication and the swelling went down some I no longer have teeth marks on the side of my tongue. However my tongue is still swollen and my cheeks are swollen causing them to rub on my teeth causing sores sometime I can hardley eat for the pain. My tongue around the edges feels numb and tingle like I have burned my tongue. I have been to a ear nose & throat, allerigest, and rheumatoloist, tested for amyloidosis (negitive). I have gone off the high blood med`s to see if that was causing it but no change. My pcp dr doesn`t have any clue as to what is wrong any suggestions?? I have asked my dentist he also doesn`t have a clue.

Answer:

You really need to see an oral and maxillofacial pathologist for evaluation of this situation. Oral and maxillofacial pathology is the only specialty of dentistry and medicine that focuses on the diagnosis of oral diseases. Unfortunately, most doctors are either unaware of the existence of oral pathologists or forget that we are available to see patients. This may only represent a common sensory neuropathy called burning mouth syndrome, but evaluation by an oral pathologist would be necessary to confirm this diagnosis.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology