Cancer

Possible Cancer in Kidney

01/23/2009

Question:

My uncle just had open-heart surgery and through general checkups, the doctors found a growth on his kidney. Some spots also showed up on his lungs on an x-ray. The doctor seemed to think it was from being under anesthesia and he had developed pneumonia. He was never examined again (for the spots and growths) and is now in the process of getting a spend-down medical card. He has workers compensation but has no medical insurance. I`m afraid he`s not being examined very well and this could be cancer. Any thoughts on his prognosis.

Answer:

This is a hard question to answer. This is a national problem now. There is no good answer other than he needs a chest CT. A large hospital such as the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals in Cleveland or Ohio State University Medical Center all have programs for individuals in his situation. 

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Thomas  Olencki, DO Thomas Olencki, DO
Clinical Professor of Medical Oncology