Urinary Disorders

Testicuar Size Following Orchidopexy

02/09/2009

Question:

I was born with undescended right testicle. I am now 22 years old. I have undergone orchidopexy operation at age of 9 years but unfortunately it failed and the testicle returned into the inguinal canal again so I had to do the surgery again 2 or 3 years later. In the first surgery I hadn`t reached puberty yet in contrast to the other time in which I reached puberty with the right testicle not present in the scrotum. Now I have some worries. First: my right testicle is now quite smaller than the normally descended left testicle and hangs up more in the scrotum. I am afraid that is is not functioning normally, so will it affect my fertility? Another question is I am afraid of testicular cancer being high incidence among people with my condition. So how could I be assured about being healthy as I have occasional pain in groin and my doctor said it is because of pelvic congestion, but it occurs mostly on the right side and rarely on the left side and if it is on right side it lasts longer. I don`t masturbate and I didn`t have sex before as I am religious. So what is your evaluation of my case and what to do?

Answer:

Patients with an undescended testicle are at higher risk of developing testicular cancer. There is no way to assure you that you can not develop a testicular cancer except by removing the testicle. Aside from that, you will have to be followed closely with exams and perhaps blood tests. The smaller size is likely to be the result of decreased vascular supply to the testicle and nothing can be done about that.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Marc F Cymes, PA Marc F Cymes, PA
Clinical Instructor of Urology