Pain Management

Why do muscles hurt when I stretch them?

01/26/2009

Question:

My muscles hurt when I stretch them. This started in both legs. Now my shoulders and neck hurts when I stretch. Even if I move my head from side to side. My doctor is ordering an EMG of my legs next week because I can not kneel down and get up, and have limited range of motion in both shoulders. (My shoulders hurt when I try to make circles with my arms). He said I have ataxia and an intention tremor. What could be causing my muscles to hurt when I move or stretch them? (It is like an aching burning pain. And my muscles also hurt when I use them.) My doctor originally diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, but when I told him all my muscle pain STOPS if I am not moving and sitting still, he tested me for venereal disease VDRL and it was normal. Does Netwellness have any suggestions on all of this? Should I ask for any blood tests? The test for CK was normal. I am a female. Mid 50’s.

Answer:

Your question is best directed to neurology and/or rheumatology. Good luck! 

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine