Children's Health

MMR given at 12 months and 15 months

01/30/2009

Question:

My doctor informed me today that our daughter was inadvertently given a second dose of the MMR vaccine at 15 months. She was vaccinated with her first dose at 12 months.

I`m concerned about the short term and long term affects. Since she has had her second vaccination already, what will this mean for her in her school aged years? Will she be more likely to contract an illness?

I read a similar question you answered regarding a 9 month old that was vaccinated but this is different since according to your answer, the 9 month olds first vaccination is not valid since it was given under 12months.

Answer:

There is likely no problem, but the vaccinations were not tested for a 3 month repeat injection.  She will be immunized as well or better than if she only had one injection, and should not be any more likely to contract an illness as a result of the second injection.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine