Children's Health

Virus

01/30/2009

Question:

My daughters started out with a stomach ache and then diarreah with mucus and blood. I took them to an Urgent Care and was told it was probably a virus to watch and wait. With the peanut butter scare I was instructed two days later to take them to the emergency room for testing. They were clear it was not Salmonella but a contagious virus which I now have too. The hospital did not contact me with results on what it was and I was told if it was serious, they would have called me. I think if my child is in pain crying and having this problem, it`s pretty serious, and I have never heard of a stomach bug that caused bloody stool. Can you elaborate on this for me and what it could be and how I can ease the pain since the hospital has been no help at all?

Answer:

It is reassuring that the salmonella testing was negative, and I can only believe what you tell me in that the hospital knew what the cause of the diarrhea was.  Please address further questions to your children primary care provider or the emergency room physician(s) that treated you and your children.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine