Metformin in no diabetic but obese person

01/29/2009

Question:

Respected Sir,

I have browsed several questions respnses of which are really full of erudition. You deserve a cmpliments from us for meaningful guidance. I wanted to ask whether Metformin is hlpful in weight management / I am hypertensive and obese but not diabetic. I go for a walk, less sugar, less carbohydrates.

My brother in las whi is a PCP was telling me that earlier Metformin was used in obese patients Then by research, it was noticed that it controls sugar also Hence metformin was diverted for diabetic patients.

Having said that can U guide me the role of metformin in obese patients without diabetis but who is following up life style modifications. I have normal lipid, normal thyroid, normal kidney-liver function normal TMT 2D Echo. I am from India male 50 years I need your guidance My weight is 111 kg Thanx

Answer:

In the United States, metformin is not approved as a weight loss drug and the magnitude of weight loss is not likely to be large.  It may limit weight gain.  There may be other health benefits associated with taking it but the risks and benefits would need to be evaluated in your own context by a physician familiar with your full medical history, exam and lab results.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD