Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Crown causing problems

01/26/2009

Question:

I had a crown put on #19 back in June of 2008, for 7 months their has been something wrong with it, the dentist stated their was not. Also he had to grind the tooth #20 beside the crowned tooth to get it to fit when he put it on and also ground a tooth above the #19. I don`t know why but........

Now I am getting sorness in my chin, neck, jaw, at first it started tingling and now it is causing my arm to go numb also once in awhile. I have been getting a little bit of a headahe once in awhile also. It felt like my jaw moved. He did adjust it 3 times but it still felt high I kept telling him. He still stated nothing was wrong with it.

I kept telling him it is pushing itself down into my gums, but he states it never moved. My gums have been irritated for several months which started back in October.

Now the crown looks as if it is right on the gum bone. The irritation of the gums has not quit and still persists. It is irritating one corner of my gum drastically more than the other and it felt like there was a gap there when he put it on, but it has started closing up the gap on it`s own it feels like. I am so confused about this crown and the symptoms I have been experiencing that I don`t know what to do about it. When the tingling starts in the facial area, the side of my jaw gets warm and then eventually goes away.

He took an x-ray and stated the nerve is fine.

Do you know what the problem might be and should I have this crown removed?

Answer:

A clinical exam by another dentist is recommended.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry