Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Adult bedwetting

02/04/2009

Question:

In the last few months I have found myself about 5-10 times each month wetting the bed. It almost seems as though I was awake when starting to go, despite the hour being 3:00 AM, sometimes earlier and sometimes later. I think it started shortly after I was in all probability raped or gang raped as I had been out to a bar and was drinking diet pepsi. I was left at my friends house as I live in a different city. Anyway, that is when this started shortly after that, but I find it too embarrassing, shameful and even guilty about talking to someone about the bedwetting. I see a therapist and she is aware that I was possibly raped/gang raped; however, it was never discussed as I was probably drugged with something so I don`t remember much of what occurred, but in my dreams prior to my bedwetting things are like a blur and from what I remember about the dream is that someone or others are on me and then laughing and that is usually when I have wet the bed. I`m not sure what to do as I am so embarrassed and ashamed about the bedwetting that I haven`t told anyone. After the possible assault I did not seek medical treatment; however, I did have testing done for STD`s that came back negative. Now the bedwetting is really getting me down to where I`m not sure what to do. I take medication for ADHD (generic Ritalin), Melatonin 9 mg over the counter to help sleep, 2 mg of Klonopin to help induce sleep as well as help with anxiety, 1200 mg Omega Fish Oil and Wellbutrin XL 300 mg. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Answer:

The most important thing for you to do is to talk to your therapist and your psychiatrist about these stressful events and what is happening to you now.  It would also be appropriate for you to see your primary care doctor for a urinary check up to make sure there is no infection or problem like diabetes that could also be going on.

As I'm sure you are aware, without being honest with your mental health practitioners, it will be difficult for them to help you get better.  If your concern is so great that you would write to us for assistance, I hope you will also share with your therapist and doctor.  While it is always difficult to talk about things that seem "embarrassing," I am sure that your therapist will appreciate your difficulties and be sensitive to how difficult it is for you to talk about it.  Bring in to your next visit the note you wrote to us -- it can serve as a starting place for telling your story.

Good luck!

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD