COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Weak lung

01/27/2009

Question:

I HAVE COPD,I NOW LIVE IN WYOMING, MY MOTHER PASSED AWAY FROM THIS, MY LITTLE SISTER HAS COPD AND LIVES IN TEXAS AND IS REALLY BAD, MY OLDEST SISTER WAS JUST TOLD SHE ALSO HAS COPD, WHEN I LIVED IN TEXAS OVER FOUR YEARS AGO AGO, MY SISTER, MOM AND I HAD DIFFERENT DOCTORS, MY SISTERS DOCTOR ASKED IF HE COULD COMPARE OUR TEST RESULTS, HE TOLD MT SISTER THAT WE CARRIED A GENE ( WEAK LUNG ) THAT HAD CAME FROM MY MOM`S SIDE OF THE FAMILY, I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE MEDICAL NAME FOR THIS WAS? SHE COULDN`T REMEMBER, AND FORGETS TO ASK, AS I WANTED TO LET MY DOCTOR KNOW.

Answer:

The genetic type of COPD or emphysema is called "Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency", and that might be what your sister's doctor was referring to. This can be confirmed with a blood test.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep