Infertility

Trying to become pregnant after year on depo

02/05/2009

Question:

Its been a year so far after depo shot, trying to get pregnant. what are the options out there to help increase my chances of becoming pregnant. My menstrual cycle is normal.

Answer:

If you have been attempting pregnancy for greater than 1 year without success, an infertility evaluation would be indicated.  This would consist of a semen analysis in your husband, a blood test to see if you are ovulating, as well as a dye test to make sure that your fallopian tubes are open.  Treatment usually consists of fertility pills or shots combined with intrauterine insemination (injection of your husband's sperm into your uterus at the time of insemination) or in vitro fertilization (stimulation of your ovaries to make extra eggs, removal of those eggs from you ovary followed by mixing with your husband's sperm, allowing fertilization of the eggs and growth into embryos; approximately 2 embryos would then be injected into your uterus)

For more information about the above tests/treatment, please contact your doctor. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD