Infertility

Leep and pregnancy

02/05/2009

Question:

I had a LEEP done in 2005 and I got off birth control at about that time. This was in April 05 I was wondering what is the ratio of women getting preggers after the procedure. My fiance and I have been trying all sorts of methods and no avail. I also have stopped having periods for 2-3-4 months at a time. I have gone to the docs and they say it is normal... are they out of their mind? Please I need to know this. Is it hopeless for us or not.

Answer:

If you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  You should be evaluated for hormonal causes such as thyroid disease or increased prolactin (these are simple blood tests).   If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD