Children's Health

Small head and flat in back and facial bones

02/02/2009

Question:

My 14 week old daughter`s head measures 15". She is 11.6 lbs. and 23.5" long. Her doctor says her head is small. I happen to have a small head, I can`t find a hat that isn`t too big. At birth she weighed 6lb.12.9 oz and was 19 1/4" long. Didn`t get head measurment. Now she sleeps on her back, but head is always turned to the right. Her head is flat in back on right side and right side if face is pushed out a little. The doctor also says her left eye sometimes goes inward when focusing. My baby is right on cue developmentally,cooing, follows object,sits with support, smile galore and seems very opinionated. Doctor not so worried, but suggests head expert. What could come of my baby with all of this? Should I be worried about any mental issues?

Answer:

The first place I would start is with a discussion of your concerns and fears with your child's doctor or primary care provider.

The follow link will provide some further information that may help you in the interim.

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/newborncare/headcircumference.cfm

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine