Children's Health

Fever

02/02/2009

Question:

My five year old gets fevers an awfull lot. She has been getting fevers since she was about 1years old. My doctor said this is a childs way of getting rid of infection. Is this true? I have another child who never seems to get fevers. She can get sick and abit limp from the fever if its really high. She never seems to have anything else wrong with her like flu or any other infection when she has the fever.

Answer:

Thank you for your question regarding fevers.  You are correct that a fever is the body's way of fighting infection.  When a persons body is exposed to a virus or bacteria it tries to fight it.   Part of the immune system causes you to develop a fever.   In many cases this is associated with some irritability and some other physical symptoms to suggest an infection.  In some cases however there is very little outward signs of illness. 

If your child has frequent fevers over 100.4 degrees that rarely seem to be associated with infection this should be discussed with your provider.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Allison A Macerollo, MD Allison A Macerollo, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine