Urinary Disorders

Urinary Retention 3 Weeks After lap. Surgery

01/30/2009

Question:

I am 42 y.o. female. I had a laproscopic splenectomy 3 weeks ago. I have had urinary retention since. Urodynamics showed my bladder not contracting. 10 yrs. ago I went home for a week with a catheter after the birth of my first child. I have been self cathing for 2 weeks. I am begining to feel like my bladder will never wake up. Can you give me any hope or statistics on this? I am perfectly healthy besides this. I am getting frustrated waiting. Thank you.

Answer:

Although, the effect of anesthesia on the bladder is well known,  in your case there has to be more to it.

If a urodynamic study suggests atonic bladder you should look at the causes such as diabetes. If the problem is emptying due to hyperactive bladder neck you should talk to your doctor and ask for Flomax. This a the drug we use for men with prostate problems which relaxes the muscle of urethra and hence improves urine flow. Other causes are excessive coffee and or the use of antihistamines and decongestants. Stopping the above may improve your urination.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery