Oral Cancer

`Pigmented lesion` under tongue

02/04/2009

Question:

My husband (37 years old) discovered a circular discolored spot under his tongue...there was also a smaller one near it. He was concerned that it was a melanoma. He went to an oral surgeon who wasn`t that concerned about it. He told him that it didn`t really look that concerning. He called it a "pigmented lesion". It didn`t blanch so I guess it wasn`t associated with a vein. He was going to leave it. My husband requested that he remove them, he did. He recently had a root canal (a month or so ago). Could it be blood blister or associated with trauma? The oral surgeon said it should have resolved by now if it was. I know that the doctor wasn`t that concerned, but I am so worried!! It will feel like an eternity to get the results of the biopsy!

Answer:

It is not possible to diagnose this with a description. This will need to be discussed directly with your oral surgeon who will likely defer a diagnosis and further recommendations until the biopsy results are available.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Amit  Agrawal, MD Amit Agrawal, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology