Children's Health

First time

01/30/2009

Question:

I had sex for the first time a few days ago, I started the birth control pill about a month ago, when i had sex i only had two sugar pills left. The condom broke but i was also nearing the end of my period.I had my period during that day but at night it stopped I dont know if its gone cause its the morning after. IF I do get my period later today am I pregnant?

Answer:

Birth control pills are very effective at preventing pregnancy, and from the situation you describe, assuming you took all the pills as you were directed, there should be little risk of becoming pregnant.  However, the risk is never zero.  Checking a pregnancy test two weeks after the incident, will likely reassure you.

Birth control pills do not prevent sexually transmitted diseases, and given the fact that the condom broke you are at a higher risk of contracting a sexually transmitted disease.  Please visit your health care provider quickly if you have any symptoms, and if not would schedule a routine visit to be evaluated for any sexually transmitted disease.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine