Colorectal Diseases

Sphincterectomy surgery

02/23/2009

Question:

I had sphincterectomy surgery about 10 weeks ago to treat a bad anal fissure. I was healing well in the first two weeks then I developed a large abscess behind the muscle. The doctor did a procedure whereby be placed a tube through the abcess by passing it fro the o/s of my rectum wall to the inside. I went take in to surgery to have my drain holes widened. The abcess has continued to drain for 6 weeks since then and does not appear to be getting better. I have discharges of both clear liquid and a pussey substance. I have been on anti-biotics twice...currently off of them. My doctor is just letting it take it`s course. The pain has increased and the abcess seems to be staying the same, I have a good deal of drainage, enough to easily soak through a 4 x 4 inch pad, my underwear and my pants....very embarrassing and iconvenient. My doctor is having me take 2-3 sitz baths a day. What else should I do? Is it time to seek a second opinion? I`m becoming very concerned.

Answer:

If you are losing confidence in your care, it is always a good idea to get a second opinion. Abscess at a perianal surgical site is not uncommon, but if well-drained should be a bit less symptomatic that what you describe.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division