Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Strategy for treatment

My older adult sister has not been clinically diagnosed, although she exhibits the symptoms outlined on your Website. What is the best mechanism of treatment for the entire family--on dealing with/coping with her behavior, which is resultant from this disorder? Her physician has already prescribed medicine, but it isn`t sufficient. She has always taken sibling rivalry to a scary level, which impacts my mother, who feels the need to protect the one with the illness. I am seeking counseling, but how do I get her help (she doesn`t think there is anything wrong)? Could you recommend any literature to assist the rest of us?

Sorry to learn about your sister. I recommend the National Institute of Mental Health website: www.nimh.nih.gov.
I hope that this helps.

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Stephen F Pariser, MD Stephen F Pariser, MD
Faculty Emeritus
Professor of Psychiatry