Athletic Training

Calf cramps

02/05/2009

Question:

I am a swimmer, and am used to cramping muscles durning my workouts...however, lately it has gotten to the point where I have to quit my workouts. It starts when I point my toes and/or put on my fins. My feet freeze first, then it travels up my calf until everything below my knee is cramped up. I stop and rub out the cramps and flex my feet, but the moment I try to begin again the cramping comes back. I eat bananas before my workouts and drink water, but I cannot seem to get it to stop. Right now I am sitting at work and my calves are cramping up again. Do you know of a solution?

Answer:

I would suggest a visit to a local physician to determine the cause of your cramping. While you mention you have had issues with cramping with activity in the past, clearly this is progressing to the point that you are now experiencing cramping at rest. Your medical care provider may want to do some tests to determine the cause of your more frequent cramping and, hopefully, develop a treatment program that can control those symptoms for you.  Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences