Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Small bumps on back of throat & roof of mouth

02/16/2009

Question:

Recently i have noticed that i have these tiny raised bumps on the back of my throat right above the uvula. i havent thought much about it but i gave my boyfriend oral sex recently and then where the bumps are i noticed the next day there were numerous red blotches. (the red blotches looks like blood under the skin. Just like when you hit your arm on something and you get some blood spots under your skin & if you were to break the top layer of skin youd bleed). im concerned any help? the bumps have been there for sometime they are all around the back of my throat in the area above and around the uvula.

Answer:

What you are describing is a classic “CSI” type finding secondary to oral sex/fellatio. Most likely the “red blotches” are the result of trauma and you have submucosal hemorrhaging or post pharyngeal ecchymosis. The little bumps are probably irritated minor salivary glands.

My concern is whether or not you have a propensity for bleeding and/or have a possible clotting defect. Some individuals bruise easier than others and it can be the result of medications or variability of clotting factors or platelet function.

If you are concerned, I would advise you to discuss this with you primary care provider.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine