Mouth Diseases

Small white tip

02/12/2009

Question:

Hi,

I have had a small white tip on the end of my tongue which has appeared here and there over the course of 1 year. Initially it was visible and went away, but has been hanging around now for a period of 3 months. It also feels tender, as if it were burnt. I am a smoker of approx. 10 cigarettes a day which i roll myself and use a rolled piece of cardboard as a filter which I would imagine can play a part in directing smoke via a tunnel onto the tip of the tongue.

I seem to, when stressed rub the back of my bottom teeth with my tongue. My teeth were just prior to this white spot appearing, professionally cleaned but the denstist for what ever reason did not polish the teeth correctly resulting in a rough surface on my teeth, which also result in abnormally fast discolouration of the teeth through smoking and drinking coffee.

please help!

Answer:

It would be impossible to determine what is going on in this situation without doing an examination. Ideally, you should make an appointment to see an oral pathologist for further evaluation.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology