Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Pulmonary Fibrosis

Financial aid disability



My husband has COPD, has never smoked. He is 57 years old, has been unable to work for the past 4-5 years. He was turned down for Social Security because he hasn`t paid in for the past 5 years. It seems like Soc. Sec. benefits are paid to illegals, and immigrants, that have never paid in. Yet, a U.S. citizen who did work but is now suffering from a chronic illness is not eligible. Is there any financial help available?


It is very uncommon for lifetime non-smokers to develop COPD. Some of the other conditions that can cause COPD (other than smoking) include

The first step is to determine why he has COPD and establish a confident diagnosis. Financial benefits are beyond the scope of this forum.

For more information:

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

Response by:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University