Cancer

Average Life Span

02/18/2009

Question:

Patient has metastized liver cancer from original colon cancer. What is average life span? Cancer in liver has spread fairly rapidly.

Answer:

This is a hard question to answer and depends on a lot of things. Most important factor is how the cancer responded to chemotherapy.

Other important factors to weigh in is the time from the initial cancer in the colon to the time disease was found in the liver. Other things are: amount of tumor burden in the liver; was the disease removed first time, is the disease elsewhere besides the liver. As you can see, without much more information, no one can answer this question accurately for you.

If you tell me that the disease has not shown much response to chemo, and nothing tried has helped, life span may be predicated by the amount of tumor in the liver, helping to cause liver failure. I am afraid that is the best I can do based upon the information provided.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Steven  M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS Steven M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS
Formerly
Professor of Surgery, Director of Liver Transplat and Hepatobiliary Surgery