Urinary Disorders

Dilute Urine and Overactive Bladder

02/18/2009

Question:

I am a 25 year old female, I have had an "overactive bladder" urinating 4-9 times a day and 4-10 times at night. I don`t drink much fluids maybe 40oz +-12oz a day, since more makes me urinate more. Lately I`ve been noticing that my urine is completely dilute (no color whatsoever) this has been for 2 days. I have noticed episodes of this is the past, but then a few days later (or when I feel dehydrated) my urine is concentrated and yellow again. I`ve been tested for diabetes mellitus, had a bladder US and lab work for BUN and creat and told everything is fine. I also get horrible migraines that are not able to be controlled by medication as fell as fatigue and sleep difficulties. I am just windering if something else could be going on? I am told the bladder issue is just overactive bladder. I was given medication but had to stop because of the horrible dry mouth.

Answer:

The color of the urine may reflect your hydration status or some of the dyes from the food that you have eaten. A very clear, watery urine, generally is a dilute urine. It is difficult to determine the etiology of the frequency you describe. I would suggest that you be seen and examined by a urologist.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology