Urinary Tract Cancers

Thickened Bladder on CT Scan

02/18/2009

Question:

My father is 72 yrs old and had stage 3 colon cancer with 2/14 positive lymph nodes 3 yrs ago. He had a colon resection and chemo. He since has had yearly CT abd/pelvis. He had one done last week. It showed bladder thickening. His prostate is enlarged a little. He has had no bladder sxs. Could this indicate a malignancy? What should the next steps be? He did have some blood work and a u/a done today. I live in another state so cannot be with him at his appts. Thanks so much.

Answer:

Bladder thickening on CT scan is non-specific and may be the result of prostate enlargement, inflammation, or just not being full at the time of the CT scan. If UA is negative, kidney function is normal, and urinary symptoms are negligible, then no further evaluation is indicated. If blood in the urine, then evaluation by urology may be helpful in ruling out serious issues or determining additional treatment.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology