Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Brushing teeth

02/16/2009

Question:

I recently adopted a 14 month old. She will not allow me to brush her teeth. She will chew on the toothbrush with non-flouridated tootpaste, but will not allow me to hold the toothbrush in her mouth and brush. I have tried two tooth brushes, she holds one and I hold one. Any suggestions?

Answer:

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe you could try allowing her to brush your teeth and then you take your turn brushing hers? Or...(hand over hand) you hold her hand while she brushes your teeth and she holds your hand while you brush hers.

I applaud you for your efforts. Stick with it! As you obviously understand, it is important for us to assist our children for quite a few years to make sure their teeth and gum tissues are cleaned.

Your daughter is still getting some cleansing action and gum stimulation by just chewing on the brush so you've got some time to take it slow. That way, you have the best shot at making tooth brushing as pleasant an experience as possible.

Congratulations on your adoption!

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Susan   Bauchmoyer, RDH, EFDA,  MS Susan Bauchmoyer, RDH, EFDA, MS
Associate Professor – Clinical, Clinic Director