Urinary Disorders

UPJ Obstruction

02/19/2009

Question:

I had an open pyeloplasty on the left kidney in 1982 and then in 2004 I had a cold knife retrograde endopyelotomy. My left kidney has chronic hydronephrosis and I do have calcium oxilate stones present. I have passed some gravel in the past month with stones still present but not causing blockage. This from a ct scan a week ago. I still have flank pain with no UTI or hemeturia present. My urologist wants me to have a renal scan with lasix wash out but not for 2 weeks and then see him in 3 weeks. My last renal scan showed half-time before lasix left kidney 127 min. After the lasix there was good response. I guess my question is why would he want to take so long to act when I am in constant pain? Thank you for your time.

Answer:

I can not comment on his thoughts regarding the timing of the tests. I would agree that repeating a lasix renogram would be appropriate to reassess the UPJ.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology