Infertility

Trying to conceive

02/24/2009

Question:

Although, I’ve been married for 10 years, I had sex first time in my life 2 months ago. Condition call vaginusmus prevented me for all these years from having sex which also kept me from OBGYN visits. For the last 10 years, other than not being able to have sex, I had no health problems; perfectly regular, painless periods. I’ve been trying to conceive for the last 2 months, my BBT showed I ovulated, and I had sex 10 days a row until the day of ovulation, my period started yesterday. Should I seek fertility treatment, since I’ve wait too long, I want to get pregnant ASAP,

Answer:

It is probably too early for you to worry about fertility. It takes the average couple 3 to 6 months to get pregnant. Unfortunately, the chances decrease with the age of the woman. It is usually recommended that you try for at least 6 months before asking your gynecologist to evaluate you for problems. Many doctors will wait a full year to begin an evaluation, unless you are more than 35 years old. The initial fertility evaluation often begins with your husband's semen analysis and an X-ray test for you to see if your tubes are open. If these two tests are normal, it is reasonable for women less than 35 years of age who are having regular periods to attempt pregnancy for a full year before recommending more aggressive diagnostic tests or treatment. In older women, further treatment by a fertility specialist is recommended after 6 months.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology