Pharmacy and Medications

Is it Safe to Take Pueraria Mirifica Despite Having Fibriods 6 Years Ago?

02/23/2009

Question:

I would like to know what kind of people cannot take any of the breast enchancement products sold in the market? I read about the reasons why these products are said to increast breast size - that is the estrogen level will be raised, is that true? Herbs such as "Pueraria mirifica" to promise to increase breasts. Actually I was born with more estrogen in my body I think, I was thinking to take the pills not for the main purpose of increase the breasts but to enhance their firmness more as I age. I had severe menstrual cramps during my teenaged years until in my 20`s. And in my late twenties due to an incident which stressed me out ennormously, I went see the doctor and found 2 small fibroils grown inside my uterus. The doctor said the fibroids might have been growing since my teenaged years which caused me great pain during menstrual periods. Now it`s been 6 years later since I was first diagnosed of having fibriods in 2002. Although now I believe they`re all gone as I stopped seeing abnormal bleeding after a year in 2003. I`m 36 now, and can I take breast enchancement pill or use the serum? I just worry if those herbs will encourage the re-growth of the fibroids again? Please advice, appreciated you could answer my concerns. Thanks very much.

Answer:

Pueraria mirifica (also known as Kwao Krua) is a root found in northern and northeastern Thailand and Myanmar. The compounds that make Pueraria Mirifica different from any other phytoestrogen containing plants in the Family Leguminosae are Miroestrol and Deoxymiroestrol, which possess the highest estrogenic activity among the known phytoestrogens due to structural similarity to estradiol.

Fibroids are muscular tumors that grow in the wall of the uterus (womb). Fibroids are almost always benign (not cancerous).

No one knows for sure what causes fibroids. Researchers think that more than one factor could play a role. These factors could be:

Because no one knows for sure what causes fibroids, we also don't know what causes them to grow or shrink. We do know that they are under hormonal control: both estrogen and progesterone. Fibroids grow rapidly during pregnancy when hormone levels are high. They shrink when anti-hormone medication is used. They also stop growing or shrink once a woman reaches menopause.

Based on this information, I would recommend that you do not take Pueraria Mirifica, as it could possibly encourage growth of fibroids due to its estrogenic activity.

Submitted by Katheryn Dyer, PharmD Candidate
The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Carmen M Hadley, RPh, CSPI
Former Clinical Instructor
College of Pharmacy