Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Small lump on roof of mouth

About two weeks ago I felt with my tongue a very tiny lump on the left side of the roof of my mouth, almost but not quite as far back as the tongue can reach. Thinking it was just a piece of food or loose skin I scraped it off with my fingernail. About a week and half later (4 days ago as I write this) I felt it had returned. I made an appointment to see the dentist the next day, but when I woke up the next morning it was gone. I still went to the dentist but he said he could see nothing and the skin around the area I indicated looked fine. He said if it came back I should see an oral surgeon.Today,I feel it again.There is no pain or discomfort It is really small. Do you have any idea what this might be. Also, should I go the oral surgeon, or should my first visit be to my general internist?

It is not possible to make a diagnosis based on a description. If you are concerned, then it would be best that this be evaluated further by an oral surgeon or ear, nose, and throat specialist.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Amit  Agrawal, MD Amit Agrawal, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology