Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Swollen and itchy

02/24/2009

Question:

I have a swollen patch on each side of the roof of my mouth. They are located toward the back of my mouth, starting toward the middle and ending near where my tonsils were. To the touch they feel like very large blisters. They itch quite a bit. The layer covering them is still the pinkish hue like the rest of the mouth, but the lumps themselves look white beneath surface.

Answer:

I am sorry but I really would need to actually see what you are describing. I presume that you had you tonsils removed but blisters that itch in the posterior pharynx and “lumps” underneath the mucosa sounds like you are describing lymphoid tissue that is normal.

The itching could be the result of many things such as allergy, oral dryness, mucosal irritation, or even viral infection.

I would strongly advise that you have this evaluated by your primary care physician to rule out disease. The bilateral nature makes me less worried but still I would have it evaluated.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine